Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It's time has ended...

After 130,000 miles (70,000 of which were put on by me) the life of this 1996 Pontiac Grand AM has ended. About two weeks ago I noticed some "water" dripping from the bottom of the car. It was a hot day and I had been running the air conditioner so I figured it was just condensation from it. Then when I was driving up to SLC for a meeting the car was overheating, the guage was all the way at the top and the red light turned on. I made it to my meeting but the car was smoking by the time I got there.

It turned out that the water pump inside the car had broke and what was leaking was actually coolant for the car. To replace the water pump would cost about $700.00, not because the part is expensive, but because it would take 6hrs. to install it because it is underneath the engine. The other problem is they figured there had been serious damage done to the engine because it had overheated so they figured the gaskets were warped and that would cost a ton.

So anyway the car is done. It has driven its last leg. It put us in quite the bind last week because we weren't expecting to have to buy another car this quick.

We now have a 1999 Chevy Lumina LTZ we bought it for $3400 and it has 121,000 it is in really good shape and should hopefully give us at least another three years...we will see.

Anyhow that is the story....



2 comments:

The Hiller Family said...

I'm just waiting for the day my car dies! I'll secretly miss the old thing, but change is always good! I hope your next one treats you well!

mateo said...

I was sorry to hear that the Grand AM has finally "discovered the spirit", but I'm glad you can now have a little more room for your growing family. If Ryan keeps up at the same rate, there will also be more room in the front seat. I think I fell off the wagon with all our late night meals and Cokes, so I'll have to catch up to you. Thanks again for all your help with the move. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't have a dresser!